A companion to THE WORD OF SINNA LUVVA blog. An Outlet for new poems, drafts of poems and even rediscovered or reworked ones! For more poetry by Malcolm Evison see the Related Sites listing.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

MISSION BETRAYED

MISSION BETRAYED
[Redemore 22 August 1485]

Misjudged by many of my peers,
betrayed by those in whom
I placed my trust. Today

I sift through memory,
acknowledge scheming in my blood -
the unquenched thirst

of generations. Betrayal
led me to accept defeat
out of the very jaws

of victory. I clung
to pride.

***************

A Judas multiplied
was on my side,
in faith, I thought them

little Christs. Their company
made for me
a lonely ride.

*******************

The wetlands bogged me down,
Canuted by the rapid-turning tide.

Today I made myself
a pawn
for Tudors grasping hand -

Today I died a King,
upheld the remnants
of my dignity.

*********************

My crown was no more theft
than fate contrives
to thrust on monarchy itself -

Today I have my pride.


Malcolm Evison

A friend who took over my flat, in 2000AD, has recently moved out and discovered some old working drafts of mine. This is one of them - slightly re-worked. The Subject is Richard III.





No comments: